“Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence.”
– Author Unknown
Course Description (Summer School)
Overview of the yearlong course: capitalcomtech.info/rock
- Review Mr. Le Duc’s introduction and overview of the course (Google Slides)
- Watch a video of Mr. Le Duc presenting the slideshow. (YouTube) Version 2.o!
Syllabus and Course Resources
- School of Rock – Le Duc Syllabus 2020 ABCF (PDF)
- New Market Social Media Contract 2021 (PDF)
- Social Media Contract with links
- Summer School YouTube Playlist
Friday Zoom Meeting Link (9AM and 2PM)
- Meeting Link: https://osd111.zoom.us/j/4298013205, Meeting ID: 429 801 3205
‘Rooms’ Concept for Time Management
(Below you see the ‘time slip’ for the ‘rooms’ of the course)
Previous Student Blogs Samples
Mr. LeDuc’s Daily Message and Blog Post Outline
August 9-11 – Week 4
- Day 16 – Celebration in class!
- Final reflection blog post about the class and your experience in it
- Day 15 – Your Brain
- Day 14 – Voice, Preparation, and Presentation
August 2-6 – Week 3
- Day 13 – Autonomy
- Day 12 – Collaboration and Growth
- Day 11 – Collaboration and Growth
- Day 10 – Community
- Day 9 – Workflow
July 26-30 – Week 2
- Day 8 – Leadership
- Day 7 – Pathways
- Day 6 – Bass
- Day 5 – Rhythm
- Day 4 – Harmony
July 21-23 – Week 1
- Day 3 – Melody
- Day 2 – Basics & Foundations
- Day 1 – Tools, Safety, & Silence
(Guitarists) Class Quizlet Final – Due Friday by 5 PM
- Memorize the first three frets on the guitar by July 16th 3PM
- It is not graded, you just become more awesomer! (Yes, ‘awesomer’ is a made-up word)
Class Padlets Room Interest / Feedback
- ROOM: bit.ly/2OonUoz – Room sign up and evidence choice
- IMPROVEMENT: bit.ly/2NZJ784 – Add ideas to improve the class
School of Rock YouTube PlayList (All the class video resources are here)
Last Class Leadership ‘Big’ Project Meeting Schedule
- LEADERSHIP: bit.ly/2ZxekGt – Collaborative and Growth projects
- Soundtrap YouTube Playlist
- HookLab Beginner Playlist
- HookTheory Tutorials Playlist
- HookTheory Songwriting Playlist
- Chrome Experiments
Guitar and Music Theory
- Paul Davids Playlists
- Paul Davids Guitar Exercises Playlist
- Paul Davids ESSENTIAL Music Theory Playlist (7 Videos)
- Paul Davids Music Theory Playlist
- Mary Spender’s Channel
- Rick Beato’s Channel
- Andrew Huang’s Channel
- To be added soon after summer 2020
Compose, record, mix, and master a song with these elements by the end of the course:
First Day Schedule
Happiness, Career, and College Preparedness
- “There are three factors that the science shows lead to better performance, not to mention personal satisfaction: Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose” – Daniel Pink
Set Zoom To Music Mode To Share Composition Work
- Participate in the Netsmartz.org Internet safety discussion about being safe online
- Learn hearing safety in the listen smart video and soundadvice.info web site
- Learn about copyright from the example video: coffee and the Creative Commons, search.creativecommons.org, Get Creative, and Free Sound Music Resources
Portfolio and Being Organized
- Review Edublogs.org blog account and email Mr. Le Duc your Edublogs address, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Explore options for an About Me page
- Review Trusted Systems – use it daily
Pitching and Presenting
- Learn how to present with power and poise
- Week three production (band) will be in teams of up to 4 with students taking on various creative and production roles
The Power of Project-Based Learning
- This course is based on project-based learning or PBL, an educational model demonstrated to help students develop 21st skills.
Screencasts – Assistance in Self-Directed Learning
- Screencast videos are recorded of many lessons to support learning and are available on the web site for viewing anytime at school or at home
- Projects and Daily Work
- Final and Portfolio Tools
- These tools are used throughout the year
Grade Scale: 4 Point Standards-based Grade Scale
|Level||Letter||Skyward High %||Skyward Low %||Descriptor|
|4||A||100.00%||92.50%||Advanced. Consistently exceeds proficient level of standard(s).|
|3.5||A-||92.49%||86.67%||Proficient but partial success at advanced level.|
|3||B||80.83%||75.00%||Proficient. Consistently (usually) meets standard(s).|
|2.5||B-||74.99%||66.67%||Basic but partial success at proficient level.|
|2||C||58.33%||50.00%||Basic. Inconsistently (occasionally) meets standard(s).|
Projects and Points
Grade Scoring Table
Self Authored Projects
- Technical and creative media skills are developed through project work, working toward mastery
- Projects are composed of a plan and a product
- Students produce projects throughout the course
- Students present the product on the last day of the course
Skills Development Projects
- Skills development is embedded into each project with emphasis on 21st Century world of work core skills
- Students will receive a daily grade for being on task with the daily work. Credit will be reduced for any conduct not contributing to an academic atmosphere. Credit will not be granted if the student is absent, but the points can be made up upon return. Please refer to the online class schedule ad Skyward for missing work and consult with the teacher for make-up work.
- Students will publish blog entry detailing their work for projects
- Included in the entry will be a paragraph highlighting what was done and learned
- A screenshot showing an example of the work and progress will be included
- Sample Student Evaluation
- Students will maintain a journal
- The journal details what was done and learned
- Sample journal entry
- Students will contribute to the learning community in a meaningful way
- 21st Century Skills will be demonstrated daily
The Bridge Music Project
- Join a local student-centered music training, creation, and production community!
The School of Rock framework is designed with information from numerous industry and professional sources including:
- Eargle, John (2005). The Microphone Handbook. Focal Press; Second Edition.
- Goodall, Howard (2006-11-18). How Music Works Series. Channel 4, BBC.
- Hass, Jeffrey, Gibson, John and Warren, Alicyn (2016-06-29). http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/ Center for Electronic and Computer Music. Indiana University.
- Music & Entertainment Industry Educators Association (MEIEA) Standards, http://www.meiea.org/Journal/Vol.10/Tough-2010-MEIEA-Journal-Vol-10-No-1-p149.pdf
- Owsinski, Bobby (2013-05-01). The Mixing Engineer’s Handbook, Second Edition. Course Technology PTR.
- Owsinski, Bobby (2013-09-30). The Recording Engineer’s Handbook. Course Technology PTR.
- Plummer, Mary (2014-07-09). Apple Pro Training Series: GarageBand. Pearson Education.
- Powell, John (2010-11-03). How Music Works: The Science & Psychology of Beautiful Sounds, from Beethoven to the Beatles and Beyond. Little, Brown & Company.
- Randlette, Peter, (2016-06-29). Instructor of Digital Media, Sound Design, Media Technology. Evergreen State College.
- Weiss, Matthen, (2014-09-10). The Pro Audio Files http://theproaudiofiles.com/teaching-music-production/
A Few Things For You to Accomplish Before Class
Here is our pre-class to-do list:
- Pick up a guitar at New Market between 8 AM and noon at the main office.
- I need a signature from both a student and parent/guardian on the check out form.
- If you cannot pick up the guitar during these hours please email me. Some of you have. Thank you!, Scott.LeDuc@tumwater.k12.wa.us
- What to do with your new guitar? Why not review Scott Le Duc’s Summer School YouTube Playlist
- Complete the personality card exercise (75 minutes):
- Please complete by the evening of Saturday, July 4th
- Create an account at Edublogs.org. You will be using your blog to ‘turn in’ student work.
- Join our Summer School Group at Soundtrap.com
- Join our HookTheory.com online class
- Join Remind.com to receive text messages about the class
- Our class code is @nmrock
- Learn how to join a class at Remind.com
- Test a computer or device to have ready for our 1st class day zoom meeting
- This all class session Monday at 9 AM will cover the basics of the class and I will answer questions then. The meeting will last 30 minutes.
- Meeting Link: https://osd111.zoom.us/j/4298013205, Meeting ID: 429 801 3205