The following steps will help you create a powerful image focused on a student and appear to make them ‘pop’ off the page or screen.
- Take a Picture in the Studio
- Find a Unique Font and Install it on Your Mac
- Import Image, Crop out Non-white Background and Build Layers
- Cleaning Up The White Space Around The Subject
- Watch How to Remove a Background
- Revealing Text from Behind Another Layer
Steps and Tutorials
1. Take a Picture in the Studio
Position the Key and Fill Lights at 45 degree angles 5 feet away from the subject and position the Kicker Light right behind the subject.
Make sure the subject positions one of their legs in front of the light. This will make editing easier in Photoshop.
Set Alien Bee flashes to 1/8 power
Use a DSLR camera with a 50mm lens and the CyberSync for the Alien Bee flashes
Set the camera settings
Be sure to pull focus on the subject’s face
Have the camera low, to establish a more powerful pose
Have the camera about 10 feet away from the subject
Make sure to have white space ALL THE WAY AROUND THE SUBJECT!
2. Find a Unique Font and Install it on Your Mac
3. Import Image, Crop out Non-white Background and Build Layers
Cutting a person out of an image can be really difficult, especially their hair.
4. Cleaning Up The White Space Around The Subject
5. Watch How to Remove a Background
6. Revealing Text from Behind Another Layer
The font we used for this project was Chinese Rocks and we used size 800pts