- Click the link above for many sample demo reels and advice for your demo reel
Show off your talent
Whether you’re trying to land your dream job at a major movie studio or impress potential freelance clients, your demo reel is a primary tool for landing good work. The best reels show not only what you can do, but also who you are. Emphasizing your unique, creative voice can make you stand out from the crowd. Your reel can help convince people you’re the person they want to hire.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Is the work you’re showing the result of your own creative efforts? Industry professionals can spot material from a class exercise or online tutorial. The work you produce in school will often look like other students’ work, so leave it out.
- Are you proud of the work you’ve done? Every frame should present your very best creative and technical work.
- Do you have one or two minutes of great material? Keep your reel short. Most people will give you a minute of their time to watch your reel but if it runs over two minutes, it will likely lose their interest. Consider excluding clips that might not be your very best and go for a shorter reel. You can always expand your reel later with newer work.
- Do you have a soundtrack? A well-done soundtrack can move viewers considerably. It’s worth investing
serious time to find exactly the right audio to showcase your visuals in a professional way.
If you answered yes to all of these questions, then you’re ready to build your reel. If not, don’t worry. Take the time to build a body of work that you’ll be proud to show to strangers, not just your friends and family. – Adobe.com